Chatting is indeed really prevalent nowadays that several websites around the world cater to online chatting. It is because of the need for people to communicate with one another despite the distance and, sometimes, familiarity. It is just in human nature that people have the urge to talk and connect with people no matter what the odds are. But before engaging to such activities like online chatting, there are some unspoken guidelines to remember and things to avoid. This is also known as the “chatiquette,” or chat etiquette. Here are some of useful things to remember when using chat services:
1. They are people, too.
It is common courtesy to treat people from the other side of the chat room with respect and politeness, the same way a person is treated in a face-to-face encounter. Basic greetings are good conversation starters to avoid any tension and rude behavior is just as discouraged in chat rooms as it is in real life.
Chat partners are not just machines; they are also people working behind a computer. Therefore, it is not advisable to treat them with hostility and inconsideration unless the other party provokes a fight. In this case, it is best to remember using help and support from the chat service provider and let them take proper actions, especially if a chat partner is a stranger. However, if the other party is actually an acquaintance, it is best to talk things through personally since there is a higher chance of understanding and forgiveness between the two parties.
2. Simple characters connote figurative meaning.
Since chat services mostly provide nonverbal like sms as a form of communication, it is hard to detect intonations and feelings from mere characters. That is why as the years passed, there evolved an unspoken agreement among chat users regarding the way of typing and when to use them.
An all-caps for of typing LIKE THIS can imply shouting, aggressiveness, or even anger. It can also be a way of telling the other person to take important note of what has just been said.
Several punctuation marks can also serve as an expression of feelings. These are called the “emoticons” and are commonly put after a sentence to lighten up a serious sentence or to simply clarify a feeling. There are a lot of symbol combinations to choose from, and they are not that hard to do and understand.
3. Complete understanding of abbreviations is a plus.
Since the early developments of chat services limit the characters and symbols used in a message, people started to use abbreviations or shortened versions of words and phrases to include long thoughts in one simple message. Some of the most common examples are: LOL (Laugh Out Loud), ASL (Age, Sex, Location), BTW (By The Way), and TTYL (Talk To You Later). A complete and total understanding of these things can improve the quality of communication since there will be less misinterpretation and the speed of typing will be much quicker.
4. There will always be diversity.
This mostly applies to chatting with strangers, but can also apply to acquaintances. Not all people are the same; they come from different families and countries with different beliefs and behavior, so it is always important to take note of some cultural differences. Insensitiveness and discrimination often spark fights and misunderstandings on the internet, and it is never wise to get involved in one. Online rage is pointless and childish, since the involved parties can choose to not show their face and only hide behind the safety of a computer.
5. Communication is about enjoyment.
Lastly, it should never be forgotten that the reason why these services were even invented is to be able to communicate with other people. So no matter how far it is, whoever it is, or what topic it is, it is best to always make the most out of modern communicating services and never take them for granted. Chat services are advantages for the people and therefore should also be treated with utmost care and respect.
Black-Hat-SEO or search engine optimization is a common set of techniques that can help make your site more popular on web searches. It’s usually used as a part of online marketing strategies to promote products and business sites.
There are a lot of components which fall under the blanket term SEO. However, there are some foul techniques which you should never try doing, unless you want your site to get flagged as spam. Black Hat SEO is the term which is used to refer to these techniques.
Here are some Black Hat SEO schemes that you should not use for your sites. You might fool search engines at first, but these schemes would do you more harm than good in the long run. Search engines have built-in mechanisms to discover if you’ve been using bad SEO techniques on your site.
1. Keyword stuffing. Using keywords is one of the best ways to improve the ranking of your website. However, stuffing a single web page full of keywords even when an article no longer makes sense is considered foul. The optimum keyword usage is 2 to 4 times for every 500 to 700 words of text.
2. Hidden text. This is the practice of including hidden HTML text in a web page to increase the ranking of a page in SERPs (search engine results pages). This Black Hat technique is not only considered spamming; it is illegal and may eventually lead to a website being blocked from appearing on web searches.
3. Site cloaking. Some website owners manipulate their web servers to fool search engine spiders by feeding them false, keyword-rich content. The spider will then give the website a higher ranking in organic searches. But when end users visit the link, they discover that the website has an entirely different (and completely unrelated) content from the keyword that they searched for.
4. Content plagiarism. Instead of creating original content, some sites copy keyword-rich content directly from other well-established sites. This is a lazy and illegal tactic which will result in severe penalties for your site.
5. Link farming. Linking your site to other well-reputed and related websites is a good SEO practice. However, some businesses establish link farms—or groups of websites that link to each other in hopes of increasing their search engine ranking. This is an example of Black Hat SEO that will cause your site to be included in the blacklist of search engines.
6. Doorway pages. Doorways are landing pages that contain a list of keywords and nothing substantial except for a link to the actual website. Doorway pages are created solely to fool search engines to rank a website higher in organic search results.
7. Bot-generated content. Instead of creating useful content or hiring professional web content writers, some web publishers choose the easy way out by using a bot to generate useless, nonsensical content (usually stuffed with keywords).
8. Forum spamming. It’s okay to endorse your website in other sites and online communities occasionally. But sometimes, web users use multiple accounts and bots simply to post the website link multiple times in a single website.
9. Cross linking and spam links. Placing links to your website in too many sites and linking to spam sites can cause your website to be flagged as spam as well.